Thursday, 21 June 2012

decorating with junk, a thrifter's tale...

I admit it, have a habit, and I have no intention of quitting. I love to decorate, re-decorate and then do it all over again. Thankfully snooping around on other people's blogs has taught me that I am not alone here...

My own personal habit has taken on different forms over the years, I've gone through colour phases, silver and sparkly phases, the great grey phase (for the record I am still loving this one), to name a few. Over the past couple of years I have been experimenting with other people's junk - it has reached a fever pitch around here - so much so that I am now willing to admit it. I have entered the junk phase.

You see I can't pass a garage sale, thrift store, back ally and okay, the occasional dumpster (but let's be clear I am yet to dive in) with out having a little poke around - and usually I come out successful.  My kids, ages 3 and 19 months, also get involved. Though someone has tricked them into believing we are on a "treasure hunt." The hunt is full of rewards for them as well - my little ponies, castles, tractors, books - we love it all (here I feel I must also be clear - I don't shop dumpsters and back allies for my kid's toys - not that there's anything wrong with that) .

So reading this you may believe that we live in a hoarder's paradise, and to that I must disagree (just don't ask my husband).  I like space to breath and I hate clutter.  So jumping to another, somewhat related, topic we have tons of shelves in our house, the bookshelves in the living room always give me a bit of trouble. You see I love my stuff, and I love old books and love to display them, but I HATE clutter and mess.  I love layering but I don't want to be smothered by stuff... oh the trials and tribulations of decorating... So checkout our bookcase and how I have my books, stuff and other people's trash proudly on display...

our bookshelf - full of old books, industrial parts, mason jars, old planters and yes - tin  cans...

this ex-vegetarian loves her some pre-loved antlers


my baby hammer - I brought her home to sell but she's so cute - and useful too - perfect for all of those tiny jobs around the house...

tin can incognito and holding my beloved twine - that's right I said beloved...
So what do you think? Too much? Not enough? What about you, do you decorate with junk too???

Linking to:
http://www.shabbynest.blogspot.com/
http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/
www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com
http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.ca/
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.ca/
cowgirl up
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...