Sunday, 29 July 2012

milk painting diaries - chapter 1

My husband calls them my "flights of fancy" - no he is not from 1882, he's only 36 but he likes his "old-timer talk" - I find something and become obsessed. In my mind I think this love will last forever, sometimes it does; but often I get over it and move onto something else.  I am waiting to see what will happen with my current obsession: milk paint. Will it this love last forever or will I discover that it was only puppy love, over soon after it began?

I mean how could I not love this paint when some people (admittedly these are pics are from Miss Mustard Seed, a painting pro) are getting results like this:

via miss mustard seed

via miss mustard seed

Now, this paint is finicky. Something I didn't fully appreciate this when I brought it home for the first time. I did up some frames and they turned out beautifully - they covered amazing, distressed like a dream and made me feel like I too was a painting pro...

I gave myself all kinds of credit and I even shamelessly snickered to myself about all those who "struggle" with this paint.

WAY over confident in my awesome skills - I took on my next project - a side table.  AH how the mighty fall...To say it was a disaster would be putting it mildly.  It was awful. I could not even bring myself to photograph this disaster. Instead, I scraped off what little paint adhered and started fresh with regular old paint... How could things have gone so wrong?  Maybe there is something to what everyone is saying, maybe this stuff is finicky...

Oh and just for the record I don't think I am the most awesome furniture painter ever. I have plenty to learn and more improvements to make then you could list. If from time to time I get a little over confident, but reality always brings me squarely back down to earth... I enjoy painting but I'm no expert!

Anyway, I have decided to put this paint and myself to the test and have lined up several milk painting projects. I will parse them out over the next few posts. So here we go with the first victim: 

Candidate #1: sideboard purchased at a local thrift store.



A real beauty isn't she...

After doing an adequate (that's right I said adequate - I live by this word/philosophy) job of removing the varnish I turned to the paint. I used Old Fashioned Milk Paint. You can order it online here. I mixed snow white and pitch black together making a nice charcoal grey. I painted one coat of the grey and then when it dried I over-painted it in snow white. I liked it, but didn't love it (there is no pic of it at this stage). I had to stop here and think on it for a few days...

I decided on this:




2 toned white and grey.  I am happy with it now and love the contrast and texture.  You can still see the grain of the wood and some charcoal peeking out from under the white.

I actually really enjoyed using the milk paint and I found that after the varnish was off this piece took the paint really well (I did not use the bonding agent - I didn't have any).  The paint is definitely unpredictable and covered in some areas better than others, but I think that it ended up giving the piece a little charm and character.  There was definitely a point where I was hating it and thought it looked awful, but I pushed on and am happy with the results.

Now my debabte is between this:
with baskets
with baskets

and this:
without baskets

Thoughts? Any  tips for this amateur milk painter? What about the baskets, yes/no? I would love to hear your opinions.

Linking to:
www.my1929charmer.com
www.iheartnaptime.net
http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.ca
http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.ca
http://www.primpjunktion.com/
http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.ca
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.ca
http://www.lizmarieblog.com/
http://missmustardseed.com
http://shabbynest.blogspot.ca
http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net
cedarhillranch.blogspot.ca

14 comments:

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love all the texture that shows! I have never used milk paint, so I have no tips for you - but I LOVE it with the baskets!

Vintage Prairie Style said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Well you can keep "your flights of fancy" because it suits you! I love the baskets, since it give it a more "in" look right now. but I would sure save the drawer for future use! I have pro and cons for milk paint, so many brands out there now! It does get good coverage, and is very thick. So it is good to hide "flaws" from coming through. I think you did a good job, we are always so much more critical of ourselves. So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so pretty! i love the light washed look it has!

Deanne said...

It's gorgeous! Love the colour!

Rasonda @ Lake Cottage Dreams said...

That turned out gorgeous!!! Love your blog.

Donna Wilkes said...

Came over from Feathered Nest. At least you kept on trying - I gave up on milk paint decades ago and wondered if the modern paint is easier to work with! Love the baskets and the finish - it looks like it has been sitting around for years aging gracefully!

Distressed Donna Down Home

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking good...liking the look of the baskets in it.

Blessings,
Linda

Shabby Chic Farm said...

Looks great! I like the colors you chose. Really like the baskets.

www.shabbychicfarm.blogspot.com

girls said...

I like it with baskets! I have never tried milk paint but love all the pieces that are done with it.. I think I am going to have to try and be bold and buy some for myself! Love your blog and am your newest follower! If you ever have time I would love for you to come check out mine!

-Peggy

Susan Erb said...

I love the baskets and think they would look awesome painted the same gray as the drawer! Really nice job.

Sue

Life Of A Southern Couple - Brittany said...

Wow! I love this! I like the baskets too! You really did an amazing job!

breida with a b. said...

i think this piece came out really nicely - and i vote YES on the baskets!
breida

Jenny Kardynal said...

YEP on the baskets! It's a more than adequate organized country-kitsch finish. Once again Keya, amazing, beautiful, elegant, perfect!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...