Thursday, 9 August 2012

milk painting diaries - chapter 2: accessories

First of all, thanks to all of you who weighed in on my sideboard project.  It seems that the baskets had 100% of the vote, so they are keepers.  I had worried that they were a little too contemporary for the piece but they have definitely grown on me and I think they might even give the piece some edge. We all want to be a little edgy right???

Now on with my next milk paint hack job... This time I did a little more research and prep, A great tutorial/how to can be found at Chrissie's Collections and many, many other web/blog sites. I decided to do a few home accessories, as I had done a milk paint wash on a picnic basket a while back and loved the effect. here it is here:



I think that it gave the basket just the right amount of patina and maybe frenchified it a bit...

So these were my next victims:




My goals were:
  1. to do at least one piece in a wash,
  2. to do at least one piece with more solid coverage, and
  3. to try to make them look nice - or at least as nice as I could...
 I used oyster white Old Fashioned Milk Paint. Yes I am still in my monochromatic bubble. I will break out soon - I promise. Well promise is such a strong word... how about almost promise...

I chose the basket and stool to do in the wash... the basket was pretty easy going as I just mixed up  a very watery version and went to town letting it dribble all over the place. I did a couple of coats to make sure I had just enough coverage. Here she is:



I would like to add a graphic or vintage looking scroll to the top, any thoughts??

Next I was going for some heavy coverage, so out came the mirror. I did several coats and let each coat dry in between. I mixed up a bit of a thicker paste this time hoping that it would give it more coverage. I got okay coverage and excellent adhesion - it stuck like glue to this wood (I had preped it by sanding all the varnish off the wood).  I am not as happy with the results here, I just did not get as much coverage as I was wanting. I don't know, there just seems to be something missing here. Don't get me wrong I like it. I just don't love it. Oh and to add a little something I stamped on a crown to the top. I think it adds a little interest.



So what do you think? What should I try differently? Am I a fool to try to get some good coverage with white milk paint (I have used grey and black before and had excellent coverage - but of course it is easy with those colours)?

Finally the stool. I decided to do a wash on this one too.  I used 3 light coats.  It was a bit of a challenge because it was a little runny on the ends and so had a tendency to drip. I was continuously dragging my little brush across the surface and corners catching drips and trying to even it out. Now I must be clear here I didn't want it to look perfect, I like a little personality in my pieces but I also don't want them to look like crap! Anyway that was it and after it dried I threw a fleur de lis stamp on there for good measure (which didn't turn out perfect either - as you can see). Then I lightly distressed the whole thing, making sure to sand out any drips that I might have missed (there were a few).





Anyway, that concludes chapter 2: the accessories edition... Again I must ask for some advice, thoughts etc...

Linking to:
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.ca
http://shabbynest.blogspot.ca
http://www.lizmarieblog.com
http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/
http://my1929charmer.com
http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.ca
http://www.primpjunktion.com/

5 comments:

BECKY said...

You makeovers are awesome! I especially love the basket! Almost any of Graphics Fairy's French graphics would look great on it!!
Thanks for sharing!
Have a lovely weekend,
Becky

Candy said...

I've never used milkpaint, but after this post, Im gonna have to try it. Love all the projects, but Im partial to baskets.
Now following you from PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com. Please come visit me and maybe you'll follow back?? THANKS.

June@I will craft said...

Very nice, I think I need to find and try some milk paint. Thanks for sharing your creations.

Heaven's Walk said...

I just adore that sweet basket! I've used ASCP while white-washing baskets before, and just love the way it makes them look weathered and old. Great job on all of your projects! :)

xoxo laurie

Emma Kate at Painted Style said...

I know just what you mean about the coverage, I had the same problem! In the end I ran out of paint and had to give up, but after distressing and waxing it looked great.
This is my kind of post! I'm a paint nerd! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...