Now on with my next milk paint hack job... This time I did a little more research and prep, A great tutorial/how to can be found at Chrissie's Collections and many, many other web/blog sites. I decided to do a few home accessories, as I had done a milk paint wash on a picnic basket a while back and loved the effect. here it is here:
I think that it gave the basket just the right amount of patina and maybe frenchified it a bit...
So these were my next victims:
My goals were:
- to do at least one piece in a wash,
- to do at least one piece with more solid coverage, and
- to try to make them look nice - or at least as nice as I could...
I chose the basket and stool to do in the wash... the basket was pretty easy going as I just mixed up a very watery version and went to town letting it dribble all over the place. I did a couple of coats to make sure I had just enough coverage. Here she is:
I would like to add a graphic or vintage looking scroll to the top, any thoughts??
Next I was going for some heavy coverage, so out came the mirror. I did several coats and let each coat dry in between. I mixed up a bit of a thicker paste this time hoping that it would give it more coverage. I got okay coverage and excellent adhesion - it stuck like glue to this wood (I had preped it by sanding all the varnish off the wood). I am not as happy with the results here, I just did not get as much coverage as I was wanting. I don't know, there just seems to be something missing here. Don't get me wrong I like it. I just don't love it. Oh and to add a little something I stamped on a crown to the top. I think it adds a little interest.
So what do you think? What should I try differently? Am I a fool to try to get some good coverage with white milk paint (I have used grey and black before and had excellent coverage - but of course it is easy with those colours)?
Finally the stool. I decided to do a wash on this one too. I used 3 light coats. It was a bit of a challenge because it was a little runny on the ends and so had a tendency to drip. I was continuously dragging my little brush across the surface and corners catching drips and trying to even it out. Now I must be clear here I didn't want it to look perfect, I like a little personality in my pieces but I also don't want them to look like crap! Anyway that was it and after it dried I threw a fleur de lis stamp on there for good measure (which didn't turn out perfect either - as you can see). Then I lightly distressed the whole thing, making sure to sand out any drips that I might have missed (there were a few).
Anyway, that concludes chapter 2: the accessories edition... Again I must ask for some advice, thoughts etc...