Thursday, 20 September 2012

new couch gets new pillows

A few weeks ago we purchased a new couch. I got to pick it out, which was even more exciting, to me. I have wanted a white slip covered couch forever, but the couch we had was fine. There was no real need to get a new one.

This summer we decided that we needed a tv room in the basement, which is now an unfinished rec room. I like having an unfinished basement, its a place where the kids can go and create havoc and not have to worry that I will be following behind them singing the cleanup song (that's right - I do that - I will do whatever it takes to get some cleanup action around here and a 2 and 3 year old are motivated by music, so I'm singn'). But hey, if my husband wants to watch tv down there on a comfy couch, who am I to stand in his way.... Oh and while we are on the topic of moving our comfy living room couch downstairs, why don't we talk about new couch options, new white slip covered couch options...


Alas I have my new couch and I love her! She is so pretty and new. I wanted to celebrate that with some new, custom, pillows.  Oh and by "custom" I mean I was about to "make some new cushions". Out came my sewing machine, natural muslin fabric and burlap - yep you heard me burlap.

Comfort is not my main priority here, oh these pillows look comfy but they'll scratch your pretty face right up, if you try to sleep on them, or what have you... This is the living room after all - it is not meant to be snugly comfortable. We have a family room for that. Whose with me??? Yep, this room needs some form of repellant. Something that says "come on in, get comfortable, wait, not too comfortable." Burlap pillows should do the trick. You wouldn't want to hunker-down with a peanut butter sandwich and hot chocolate while lying face-down on these pillows. You'd have to move into the family room for that kinda comfort. Burlap = perfection.

So here are 2 of the pillows that I whipped up. There are a few more scattered throughout the room - cause I love me a theme and some cohesion...


Speaking of themes, I am going through a bit of a Swiss thing right now. I seem to be plastering swiss crosses on everything... these ones are lightly stuck on with adhesive spray. I plan to stitch a little border around the crosses, but am not sure what colour/type of floss to use and so have left them for now.

You can see them sitting pretty on my new couch below. Just don't judge the rest of the room, it doesn't really photograph well - I mean I don't photograph it well - and I also didn't stage it - this is a pic of how we live.



Oh and for the record the kidos actually do eat peanut butter sandwiches and yogurt and they drink milk all over our furniture - I am trying to keep these bad habits to the family room though (if outside of the kitchen). We do like to live in this house and like to enjoy every room. I just don't want to live too hard on my new couch - not yet!

Here is a little taste of what I am working on:


 not too bad you say... well feast your eyes on this:

This guys previous owner used every faux-finish known to man on this poor boy. Fake wood grain, fake crackle, a little bit of metallic in there for good measure. The funny thing is, when I stripped this thing down to the actual wood grain, I discovered that it was lovely...

Thanks so stopping by!

Linking to:
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.ca/
http://www.freckledlaundry.com
http://shabbynest.blogspot.ca/
http://www.lizmarieblog.com/
http://www.commonground-do.com/
http://twenty-eight-0-five.blogspot.ca/
http://homespunhappenings-tammy.blogspot.ca
http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/
http://www.itsoverflowing.com/
http://fadedcharmcottage.blogspot.ca/

11 comments:

Deanne said...

I have the same couch- actually I have two and I love them! When we bought them we purchased an extra set of slip covers so it is easy to change and soak the dirty ones and always have fresh ones on the couch!

suzyq said...

Love your couch - and really love those cushions - great job!!!
Hugs from Montreal,
Suzan

Deserae said...

Your new sofa is sooooooo pretty....love your new pillows too! Have a great weekend!!!
~Des

Rasonda @ Lake Cottage Dreams said...

Love the pillows, love the couch. Cant wait to see the finished product. I had a piece like that last year, it was my first major reno actually. Not fun, but made the results all the more satisfying.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Cute pillows and you will love that new couch. Great size on that chest...I'm sure it will be looking great after you get finished with it.

Blessings,
linda

Brooke said...

Well you don't live bad, that's for sure!! :) I love the new couch AND the pillows you made!!!

Tammy said...

Love those pillows!! Your couch is lovely...I would put a fence up so that no one could sit on it that has not been thoroughly cleaned;)Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I also have the same couch--I have 3 kids at home and 3 dogs, 3 cats. The couch always looks great! Gotta love those slipcovers. Enjoy!

Schulz Family said...

Visiting from Funky Junk. I love the reality in your blog. Real food, real kids but who would not want to keep the new sofa clean? Karen

Shannon said...

Fab new pillows! Lovin' the neutrals!
xo,
Shannon

Debra @ Common Ground said...

that sofa is a real beauty. Did I miss where you bought it? I'd love to know for my wish list! thanks for joining in for Vintage Inspiration!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...