Tuesday, 2 October 2012

it's a man's world... shirt world that is

I shrink shirts, or so my hubby says.  It happens pretty often around here and we have somehow amassed a collection of men's shirts (all of them belonging to one man - I'm no floozy - not that there is anything wrong with that - wait there is if you are married - ah this is too hard to explain...). After the shrinking my husband swears off the shirt - apparently he is too good to wear a belly shirt... I don't know why I keep them, but I do, and the pile was getting a little out of control.

So the other day I decided to do something about all these shirts (all are very lightly worn, in new condition really).  A while back I saw this tutorial on Martha Stewart's website. Ah Martha, gotta love her, is there nothing she hasn't thought of! Anyway, her idea got me thinking... I can do this, pillows I can do (so far that's all I can do, case in point here and here)... 

Now, of course, Martha's pillows were made out of beautiful tuxedo shirts - we don't have those. I checked - they weren't in the pile. No problem, we are coming into fall, we all want to be nice and cozy for fall right?  Well friends, nothing says cozy like plaid! Oh and we have LOTS of plaid shirts. No tuxedos but lots of plaid, does that speak to how we live or what???

Out came my new-to-me sewing machine, some cut up shirts and a whole lot of ingenuity (I just wanted to say that last part, really there was only a sewing machine and shirts cut into squares). So this is what I came up with...


 And here he is with his friend (made out of one of my shirts):



 I did up a few more to sell, but these ones may have found their home here.

Speaking of finding a new home... I have decided to keep my 1st real milk painting project (you can link to it here). I was originally going to sell her, but she looks so good here. I have her in my dining room with a big chalkboard (that I am yet to write on) and a little cake pedestal that I redid:


I know, I know let them eat cake what a quote... for the record I am not an over-indulged princess, sometimes I just like to pretend...

Linking to:

5 comments:

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Great projects! Love the shirt pillows. I am working on a rustic theme in our basement guest bedroom/TV room and have made quite a few pillows, but this shirt style is definitely on my list. I imagine that the buttons or snaps can still pop open to wash the covers too? The dresser makeover is really a cool project and looks great with the cake pedestal and large chalkboard.

Deanne Langford said...

Great job, love the ruffle one!
I made some cushions out of heaps of white shirts years ago for our lounge, but I had to op shop them!

Yael Ben-Ari said...

I love the shirt pillows. They would be great in a den, man cave or boys room.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

freckled laundry said...

Love your shirts pillows (and your milk paint piece)! Thanks for sharing at my place! xo Jami

freckled laundry said...

Featured your beautiful pillows tonight. Thank you again for sharing! xo Jami

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...