Saturday, 3 November 2012

where I've been and exciting news

I've been away - 2 weeks on an international vacation. My husband and I decided that if opportunity knocks, who are we to walk away. So when a family wedding in Ireland cropped up we jumped at the chance to visit.
County Mayo

Westmeath
My husband's family is Irish and he has been a regular visitor throughout his life. I have never been, nor have our 2 kids (2 and 3 years old). When we boarded the plane we left with high hopes of nondescript travels. We knew that the 20 hour trip that lay before us would be long and, at times, tough, but that didn't tarnish our rose coloured glasses...
the pub once owned by my father-in-law
Let me tell you what did... 20 hours with a 2 year old boy who would not/could not sleep. To say he was a wreck by the time we hit London, our second connection point, would be putting it mildly. The poor kid had a pretty tough time and let me level with you: so did his mommy. I was ready to give up by the time we hit Dublin, I wanted to go home and to take my boy with me...
Kylemore Abby
I didn't. I am SO glad! We all adjusted to the time change (7 hrs) and we had the time of our lives. We stayed in the family home place (isn't that the best name for a family home) which was in a great country spot. Once we arrived we were greeted with open arms and plates of food by family who hugged us all and said "welcome home" and so went our trip.  We saw so much, spent great times with family and friends our kids met their cousins and to top it all off we went to an Irish wedding - so much fun...
Fore

housing in Westport
There is so much to say about this magical country. The people and the scenery stole my heart and I can't wait for my next visit. Ireland is in a tight spot right now, as so many countries and citizens are. I acknowledge this fact, and empathize with the struggle in which so many find themselves.  This is not a blog about politics or the economy or such topics, so in order to stay on-point I will not really discuss such things; but how could I have traveled there at this time and not at least acknowledged their current situation.

I was able to snap a few photos of amazing cottages and landscapes which have inspired some up coming tweaks around my own abode. I will share them soon, maybe they will inspire you too...

Now for news from home:

Vintage Prairie Style was featured in our local paper while I was away! I was interviewed the day before we left for our trip, so it was a bit of a whirlwind and I just saw the paper copy yesterday when I arrived home. I am super excited about it and so appreciate the interest. Anyway check it out if you have time... there is a pic or 2 of me in here "working" I hate seeing myself in photos - I am not photogenic - but that little cutie beside me sure is!


Linking to:
http://www.itsoverflowing.com/
http://twenty-eight-0-five.blogspot.ca/
http://my1929charmer.com/
http://www.craftytexasgirls.com

5 comments:

Deanne Langford said...

Looks like you had a fantastic time, it looks an amazing place.
Very exciting about your article!

Micupoftea~ said...

LUCKY you! How wonderful to visit such a scenic place so full of history. You took lovely photos, too. I'm hoping to go someday. :)
shawn

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

How exciting...this post is so fun (and beautiful)! Happy for you! XO, Aimee

Sandy said...

Visited Ireland in September as a gift to myself after retiring from teaching thirty-seven years. Beautiful landscapes, awesome castles, and tremendously kind people.

Libby said...

What a wonderful and memorable trip for you and your family. I look forward to future blogs on Ireland.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...