But before I talk nightstands I just wanted to say a big thanks to Aimee at its overflowing for featuring my plate wall project! I am a huge fan of her blog and am totally honored. Okay, now on with the show...
I picked this nightstand up at a local thrift store. It sat in our garage for sometime before the mood struck to work on it. I loved the lines of the dresser but hated the colour and thought it could use a little jazzing up.
Out came the Macbeth, a leftover from either High School or University English, yes I have been carting this thing around for a while. You never know when you are gonna need to do some heavy Shakespeare reading - best to keep some copies on hand, in case the mood strikes. Okay so out came the Macbeth only to be cut to pieces - sacrificed for a good cause. I hope.
With the Shakespeare sacrifice over (oh the horror) I turned to my painting bench. What colour to choose???? I am trying to resist the urge to paint everything white or grey and so I reached for the a seafoam colour. Once on it was a little bright, or maybe a lot bright. It made my eyes hurt. So out came the walnut stain. I went over the entire body with the stain.
Back to Macbeth. I decopaged those pages right onto the top and drawer fronts of the nightstand. This presented another problem: the book pages looked way too new against the newly aged paint... So I grabbed that stain again and smashed it into the decopaged top and fronts, giving it an aged and well, dirty, appeal.
So after all these words, so much for a quickie post, I hope you are ready to see this new/old piece (sorry there is no before photo):