Thursday, 24 January 2013

changes around the nest


via

We moved into our house about 3 years ago. It needed a lot of updating, but we loved the bones and that old school layout (at first I wasn't convinced but I've grown to love it).We have made small changes with painting and hardware. I have also made a few changes behind the hubby's back - this is a bad habit of mine. One that he usually turns a blind eye to...

For 3 years we have lived with, and tried to work around, some pretty awful flooring. Linoleum and carpet - both of which were old (likely installed before I was even born). Linoleum and carpet in and of themselves are not terrible - but they were worn out and stained and well yucky. Our linoleum, for instance,  wasn't even glued down just stapled to the sides of the room - the way that it pulled away from the wall and became all wavy was pretty awesome...

Here are some of the nicest pics of our old floor:

fynn modeling the linoleum
a shot of the old carpet looking deceptively clean here...
So I have been quietly (sometimes not so quietly) lobbying for new floors.  Yes, I did promise my husband when we moved in that I could live with everything as is for 5+ years. Yes, I may have even referred to the floors as "charming," but, well, things change. As I lived with these floors I discovered that I HATE carpet. I HATE crawling around cleaning up spills on our once-white-carpet. Oh and the linoleum - well it was an ugly, textured/pitted, impossible to clean, wavy mess...

So 3 years in, liveable floors have become unbearable... The hubby kept finding his inbox full of ideas that I just had to share with him...  I sent him everything I could find on plywood floors, installing your own, cutting planks, painting sub-floors, etc, etc, etc.

painted plywood plank floors via google images

via pinterest
I love painted floors, love the rustic appeal of these wide painted planks. But, you know, he was never that excited about my latest "guess what you can do with plywood flooring" ideas. I kept pushing for him to give me the green light for one room just one room, but he stuck to his guns. I had said 5+ years...

This fall we sat down and had a serious talk about it. Nope, there was no way I was gonna get plywood planks. He was none too keen on laminate flooring either. But hardwood - now that was worth considering... What? This was all sounding too good to be true...

So how did we go from carpet to battling over plywood floors to getting hardwood??? Well, I will tell you this: it comes from a fundamental difference in how we view the world... as well as our time... I am a lets try this, lets spend as little money as possible and if we hate it in a year we can change it kind of a person. He is a lets do this once, lets do this right and lets be done with it kind of a person. Man, am I ever glad we went with his way...

I imagine that I would have loved plywood floors. There are beautiful pics out there in blogland. I also know that those whitewashed planks would not hold up so well around here. Sooner rather than later they would not look so awesome.

The floors we went with are not the

oiled white oak:
via pinterest

or the barn board:
via google images

or the ebony stained floors:
via pinterest

that I have been dreaming about or pinning like a mad woman... We have chosen for livability, durability and timelessness (as I said my hubby is an install them once kinda man).  Oh and there were budget constraints as well so the sky was not the limit... but I discovered that you can find a take on any of the above floors at a lower price point. The option we chose is not trendy - it's medium brown oak in a satin finish. I love it. The sales guy was a little thrown by my "we want dirt coloured wood, we want imperfections... " description.

Yes, I expect dents, scratches and the like (this is a busy house).  I tell you now:  all future blemishes will be called character marks. I will not be a slave to my floors, but I will admire them for at least a half hour everyday and I may even write them the occasional love letter, oh and I may also overhaul the current decor in our house so that we can really show case our new floors (am I going to far???)...

Here is a sneak peek of our new floors. There will be more to come. Much, much more.



So what home projects have you been dreaming about???

Linking to:
http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/
http://www.itsoverflowing.com/


2 comments:

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

oh i am dreaming of new kitchen floors! we have ugly 1979 linoleum.... hoping this is the year. i want to get some slate tile because the rest of this level of the home is wood and there is now ay we can match it properly.... so slate will be cool and natural!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

I am really liking the color you chose and looking forward to more photos.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...